7/4 2018 Fourth of July Fireworks in St Augustine – the Ancient City
St. Augustine’s Fourth of July celebration at the Castillo de San Marcos includes a live music concert and a spectacular fireworks display over the historic bayfront. “Fireworks Over the Matanzas” is one of the biggest and best fireworks displays on the East Coast, featuring 5,000 individual shells exploding as high as 2,000 feet and as low as 100 feet.
Starting at 6:00 p.m., the popular local band The All-Star Orchestra performs a two-hour show of big band and swing music along with patriotic favorites. The concert is free and open to the public, and everyone is encouraged to bring lounge chairs for seating.
The fireworks begin at 9:30 p.m. St. Augustine has been putting on a spectacular fireworks show on July 4th for the last two decades. Lighting up the sky over the waters of Matanzas Bay, with the Castillo de San Marcos and the Bridge of Lions in the foreground, the “Fireworks Over the Matanzas” display is truly unforgettable. Visitors are welcome to line the streets and sit anywhere along the Bridge of Lions and South Castillo Drive to view the fireworks from downtown.
The 20-minute fireworks show is choreographed to sync with a soundtrack of patriotic music over an extensive sound system that carries over the entire bayfront area. The show is produced by Fireworks by Santore, who also produce fireworks shows for such major entertainment venues as Sea World Orlando and Walt Disney World. Fireworks Over the Matanzas is one of the best places in Florida to catch fireworks on Independence Day.
When: Tuesday, July 4, 2018, from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. Concert from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m, fireworks begin at 9:30 p.m. Road closures from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m.
Where: St. Augustine’s historic district. Some of the best vantage points are on the Bridge of Lions and at the Castillo de San Marcos.
For more information on this event please call (904) 825-1004 or visit here.
July 4th Road Closures and Downtown Parking
The bayfront road and South Castillo Drive will be closed from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. to accommodate this event. The Bridge of Lions will be closed to both boat and vehicle traffic. Everyone attending should find their parking area prior to 8:30 p.m., when the traffic rerouting begins. The downtown parking garage at the Visitors Information Center offers all-day parking for $12 per vehicle.
Parking in city-owned lots and on-street is FREE on July Fourth, as it is on all national holidays. However, there will be no access to or from the parking lot of the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument from 6 to 11 p.m. on July 4. Street parking will be limited in the vicinity of the Plaza to facilitate traffic detours in the evening. Click here for a map of handicapped parking locations in downtown St. Augustine.
The City of St. Augustine encourages the use of bicycles for people who live close to the downtown area. Visit here for locations to park bicycles throughout the city.
Following the show, King St. and West Castillo Drive will be dedicated to west-bound traffic out of the downtown area to U.S. 1. Traffic signals in the downtown area, along Ponce de Leon Blvd. (U.S. 1), Anastasia Blvd., and State Roads 312, 207 and 16 will be monitored to facilitate traffic flow. The Bridge of Lions does not re-open until 11 p.m.
Free Park & Ride Shuttle on Anastasia Blvd.
A free Park & Ride Shuttle will be available on July 4, 2018, from 6:00 p.m. until midnight from four parking locations along Anastasia Blvd. in St. Augustine Beach. The locations are:
The shuttle will drop passengers at the east end of the Bridge of Lions. After the fireworks show, the shuttles will pick up from that location to return to the four parking areas.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ more information …..
Fireworks St Augustine 2018
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
News Release For Immediate Release – Adam Roberts, 904-829-6506 x254 or Adam_Roberts@nps.gov
Independence Day, Fireworks Over The Matanzas – July 4th, 2018
- AUGUSTINE, FL – If you’re planning on visiting the old fort to watch the City of St. Augustine’s Independence Day fireworks celebration, please remember these important regulations that will be enforced:
- Please keep your National Park beautiful by carrying your trash out with you. Littering violations are subject to a fine of up to $130
- The parking lot of the Castillo de San Marcos will be closed from approximately 6:00p until 11:00p because the City of St. Augustine prohibits vehicle traffic on the street during that time. Vehicles parked in the parking lot will not be able to leave until the city reopens South Castillo Drive to vehicle traffic at 11:00p.
- Parking is also available at the Historic Downtown Parking Facility (city parking garage) adjacent to the Visitor Information Center at 10 W. Castillo Drive.
- Alcohol is prohibited on public property, streets and sidewalks including the grounds of the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument.
- Using or possessing fireworks on the grounds of the Castillo is prohibited. Fireworks will be confiscated and persons possessing or using fireworks are subject to a fine up to $100 or arrest.
- Parking is enforced by the National Park Service 7 days a week including Sundays and Federal Holidays from 8:00a – 5:00p. Pay stations will be operational and enforced on July 4th.
- Vehicles illegally parked outside of marked parking spaces, in parking spaces signed for motorcycles only, upon sidewalks, on the grass or otherwise in violation of federal, state or city statutes will be cited and/or towed at the owner’s expense. No vehicles over 21 feet are permitted in the Castillo lot.
- Fireworks are scheduled to begin over Matanzas Bay at 9:30p. For additional information please visit citystaug.com/Fireworks. Have a great time with friends and family, but please keep it safe and legal!